Homeschooling: It's not what we do, it's how we live.

First Day of Homeschool 2013-2014

ADITLI did this once a couple of years ago, but things have changed so much since then that I thought I’d do another ‘day in the life’. This is our first day of homeschooling for the Fall Semester, in our 4th year.

Keep in mind that I wrote the above paragraph before today (being Monday, August 5th), with grand plans. In reality, I got a couple of pics early in the day and gradually kinda forgot about it after lunch. Also, the kids went to help Grammie move some things while I ran a couple of errands (which would have been boring to photo-document anyway), and since they weren’t with me, I figured you didn’t need to see me get gas and go by the bank.

My morning started off bright an dearly (7:15 AM) with Loverly Husband getting up for work. I got the kids up to say bye to Daddy; early, but with the caveat that they could get back in bed until 8 (their normal school day wake-up time). Fortunately for me, they both decided to stay up, so they had breakfast whilst Mommy mainlined caffeine.



After brekky, instead of answering 9,000 questions about ‘what are we doing this year??,’ I put the kids new books on the floor and we went over everything from which books we’ll be using to the new schedule. I introduced them to Daily Oral Language, the Morning Board and their Thoughtful Journals, and the various other books – old and new – for this year.

We started our ‘actual’ day a tiny bit late – about 9:15 rather than 9 on the dot, but by lunchtime, they’d made it up and we were back on schedule. Pizza for lunch, then a break and back to the books… well, folder. Their weekly research paper, which we’ve been doing for a couple of years now. LBB chose to research jello moulds (having found some in the art supply drawers), and PeaGreen chose to learn about guitars this week.


After the schoolwork was done, we had a ‘daily review’; something new we’re instituting this year, over tea. Tea Time is at 3PM, as usual, then reading for an hour before being 100% done and able to go do other things. In this case, other things meant going to held Grammie whilst Mommy ran some errands. Here’s where the picture takin’ drifted off; after school was over, I sorta forgot about that part.

The following morning (2nd day of school), I took their school pictures for this year, and made their ID cards for the new school year and had them laminated.



We’re currently in our 2nd week of school. So far, things have gone along quite well. The morning board is working very well – minor tweaks and changes as we’re moving along to help it work better, but it’s a really good addition for us. We’ve also started watching CNN Student News each morning, and they are even trying their hand at writing opinion pieces based on current events. We’ve also been using our Thoughtful Logs – OMG, that is such a great idea! Having all of Grammar, Writing and Literature in one lesson works very well for us.

How’s your first week going?



Love it? Hate it? Let me know! Leave a comment:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s