Happy Birthday, Dr. Suess
Last week, we celebrated Dr. Seuss’ birthday by making a new lapbook. I’d been seeing Dr. Seuss lesson plans popping up on Pinterest, so I already knew that I wanted to have a day filled with Dr. Seuss’ silly style goodness. I had all these great plans… but we had some car issues and ended up back and forth at the dealership and then a rental – so our fun was cut short.
But we still managed to have a pretty fun day! We started off with the Sneetches – book and video. Someone posted the movie a while back on YouTube, so we took a few minutes to read and watch, then compare.
The Sneetches video (full):
After that, I pulled a bunch of lapbook-esque resources from the web and we read The ABC Book, The Foot Book, There’s a Wocket in My Pocket and other Dr. Seuss favorites, then did an activity for each of the books. Here’s a list of the things I included in this lapbook:
- Notebooking Page: Theodor Geisel “Dr. Seuss“
- You are a Star (page 5 from the Sneetches download at Homeschool Share)
- How Many Feet, Whose Feet Are These?, Opposite Cards (Pages 2-6 of the Foot Book download from Homeschool Share)
- My Tongue Twister, Sock cards (pages 2-4 Fox in Socks download from Homeschool Share)
- pages 4 & 7-11 (One Fish, Two Fish download from Homeschool Share)
- pages 7-9 Cat in the Hat download from Homeschool Share
- pages 2 & 3 from Dr. Seuss’ ABC Book download from Homeschool Share
- http://www.passportacademy.com/‘s Wocket in my Pocket pop-up
Additional Dr. Seuss Resources that I’ll be looking at to add to our lapbook for next year:
I’d also planned on having green eggs and ham for lunch, making Cat in the Hat cupcakes and other fun little things… maybe next year!
How did you celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday?