Sunday Surf for Aug. 15
I recently saw a ‘homeschool blog hop’ thing that was pretty neat and was going to join in, but most of the participants were faith-based bloggers, and though they had some good ideas, it was… challenging to wade through the dogma to get to the good stuff, so I thought I’d use the Sunday Surf this week to steer you in the direction of some secular homeschooling blogs in amongst the other goodness.
- Rayven at Dysfunctional Homeschooler has been working on dissecting some of the various homeschooling methods that one can use with wit and humor.
- Heather at Babyslime posted a heartfelt piece about the dreaded phrase, “All that matters is a healthy baby“. It was picked up and reposted at The Unnecessarean.
- Sarah at The Napping House discusses Ven Diagrams and button sorting.
- Chickiepeas Pod is a new WP blog in which she shares her very inspirational and eventful summer recap with us… I look forward to seeing what’s in store for fall!
- A wonderfully thought-provoking piece defending alternative paths in education, People don’t Understand Schooling is an interesting (if lengthy) read for anyone concerned with education
- Though this isn’t a ‘blog post’, exactly, it’s an awesome article that I want to share. Brian Maffly recounts the birth that led to his wife’s death in an article discussing birth interventions in the US, and includes this quote, “There’s not a good history in obstetric practice of careful study of the long-term effects of all these interventions,” said Dr. Marsden Wagner, former director of Women’s and Children’s Health, World Health Organization. “This is why, if you really want a humanized birth, the best thing to do is get the hell out of the hospital.”
- WhyMommy at Toddler Planet was one of the BlogHer Voices of the Year – a hauntingly poignant piece relating to the bra colors game on Facebook and a breast cancer survivor’s feelings on the matter
- Seven Reasons not to Send Your Kids to College is quite thought-provoking…
- The ‘Women’s Rights’ section at Change.org has a couple of good ones; The_Supposed_Difficulty_of_Making_Plus-Size_Clothing and To_Pro-Choice,_Pro-Lifers_with_Love
- and the ‘Gay Rights’ section’s article and video about LGBT homeless youths is shocking – at the end of the day, regardless of belief, these are our children. It’s just shocking to me that this is happening on such a large-scale.
- and the ‘Education’ sections doesn’t disappoint either, Scholastic_Book_Fairs_Ban_Books_Feature_Same-sex_Parents (with a link to the ever-amusing current ‘banned books list’)
- Parenting Beyond Belief has an awesome article on finding your way in the secular homeschooling world, and a list of 15 SH bloggers for you to peruse as well.
While not all parenting or homeschooling related, I found these articles and posts to be, by turns, interesting and thought-provoking, and I hope that you do, too.